Location: West Midlands
The Senior Production Engineering team is responsible for developing and improving the production processes. The Senior Production Engineer will assist with the processes themselves, which are used for low volume, batch production and involve a wide range of techniques for assembling metallic, plastic and polymeric components using adhesively bonded or mechanical joints. Many of the components are formed on site, especially those involving energetic materials, with some others being formed off site by external suppliers.
The Senior Production Engineer works very closely with the design team and the operations department to ensure that the production processes are fit for purpose. The team is also supported by the materials team which has specialists in all the materials concerned.
Applications from suitably experienced ex-military personnel are strongly encouraged.
Main duties would include:
- Adapting existing production processes to new rocket motors.
- Developing and commissioning new production processes.
- Pilot manufacture of prototypes and initial production batches.
- Creating and maintaining process documentation, e.g. manufacturing methods.
- Monitoring process cost, wastage and capability.
- Identifying and implementing process improvements, e.g. cost savings.
- Investigating and resolving production problems.
- Generating capital expenditure cases for new equipment.
- Managing the production engineering team, e.g. staff development.
- Implementing standard production engineering processes.
- Driving forward the modernisation of our production processes.
Candidates should have a formal qualification (HNC, HND or degree) in an engineering discipline and should also have at least five years industrial experience.
Production processes for:
- Forming, machining and treatment of metallic components
- Moulding, extrusion and spraying of polymeric components
- Joining – and especially adhesive bonding
- Assembly and inspection
- Production process control and improvement techniques, e.g. SPC.
- Production planning techniques, e.g. MRP II.
- Engineering drawings, e.g. tolerances.
In addition, the following general attributes are required:
- Safety management, e.g. COSHH, MHDS.
- Interest and aptitude in all aspects of engineering.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with technical specialists
- Project management and leadership
- Team supervision and/or management
- Good interpersonal and team working skills.
- Working to customer requirements and timescales.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.