The Tool Maker will be required to build, repair and maintain multistage progression and single stage press tools to fine tolerances. The Tool Maker must ensure that the fine tolerances are in the target of enabling them to run successfully “first time” in production environment. The Tool Maker is to ensure departmental downtime is kept to a minimum and new tooling is introduced on time for customer demand. The Tool maker must have a strong tool making background in a power press manufacturing environment together with experience on multistage, single stage and draw tooling. The Toolmaker will maintain the prescribed standard of workmanship and quality to best meet the objectives of the tool room and that of the business.
Applications from suitably experienced ex-military personnel are strongly encouraged
MainDuties and Responsibilities:
- Building and developing new press tolls – progression and single stage, feeding back into designs to update and improve technical drawings and documentation.
- Producing new tools, repairs and maintenance to pre-determined standard times and estimates.
- Strip and rebuild of tools for maintenance / repair and re-grind.
- Efficient release of re-work tooling required by setters and operators for machine setting.
- Manufacture of spare parts to ensure stock levels are maintained.
- Provide tool maintenance service.
- Fully converse on multistage, single stage, draw tooling for the automotive industry.
- Competent selection of correct grinding wheels, Lathe tips and other tools.
- Die polishing and refurbishment.
- Carry out engineering design tasks using CAD
- Movement of material using mechanical lifting devices (FLT, Cranes etc.)
- Competent operations of Lathes, Millers, Grinders, Presses.
- Work within tolerances described on individual drawings.
- Care of and accurate use of measuring equipment.
- Accurate and consistent use of shadowgraph projector.
- Competent with all tool room duties.
- Maintain a safe working environment and comply with the Company’s H&S Policy.
- Championing the use of appropriate PPE.
- Promoting and striving to improve 5’s standards.
- Undergo training in line with personal development and company objectives.
- Any other reasonable duties as requested by the Tool room Manager in line with the Company and Departmental objectives.
- Strong background and tool making experience in a power press manufacturing environment.
- Experience on multistage, single stage and draw tooling.
- Possess knowledge of working with steel, brass and aluminium.
- Ideally possess a time served apprenticeship.
- Appropriate craft or technical qualification
- Competent in the operation of lathes, millers, grinders, presses, CNC machines, cylindrical and jig, spark eroders and various other standard machines.
- Knowledge of, and be able to read and understand technical drawings.
- Ability to use measuring devises such as micrometres and verniers.
- Flexible, adaptable and multi-skilled
- Good communication, planning and scheduling skills.
- Attention to detail
- Quality conscious
- Demonstrate flexibility within the job role.
- Creative, proactive and have a positive outlook
- Ability to work shift patterns per hour for double shifts
- Mon-Fri 0600 – 1330 hours
- Mon-Fri 1330 – 2100 hours
Employee will be paid on an hourly rate depending on experience